Tuesday, February 3

Draper Temple


I really wanted to post something sooner and I was just so busy in January. Our family went to the open house of the Draper Utah temple on Jan. 16th. The church did a really good job organizing and making the experience overall peaceful. There really wasn't anything that anyone would be able to complain about. You went to your designated church house to see a 10 min. video on temples and why they are important to us to bring the Spirit and help others of other faiths to understand us better. Then you went on a nice bus to the temple. You got dropped off and walked through a walkway covered with a tent the whole way with heat pumped in so that the walk to the temple doors was pleasant. It was a silent tour so you could go at your own pace and look and reflect on all of the beautiful rooms. The only part where there was speaking was in the sealing room where once full they closed to door and talked about eternal families. Maddy really liked the sealing room because of the mirrors that make it so your reflection never ends. I loved the celestial room which had the most breathtaking chandelier. Even without it being dedicated yet it felt peaceful. After you were done with the tour you walked through a tented walkway again to the adjacent church building to the gym. They had it set up beautifully with pictures of the various temples and pictures of Christ with a person playing the piano and the harp while you had cookies and mini bottled water. Then you went to your designated bus to go back to the church house that you're parked at. I was amazed at how every detail seemed to be thought of. I hope that people of other faiths take the opportunity to go to the open house to at least just better understand our beliefs. If anyone else hasn't gone yet do! The open house lasts until mid March I think. You can go to lds.org to reserve tickets and Sarah being 2 and mischievious went so don't not go because of small children. I love the temple and I am so glad that my kids had the experience to see the beauty and feel the excitement to help them realize that they do want to go to the temple themselves one day.

4 comments:

john and amber said...

I agree, Melissa, the church thought of every detail...which wasn't surprising at all. It was a great experience! Thank you so much for emailing out the info on the open house awhile back...it was from your email, that we were able to know how to get tickets! :)

Brandi said...

We get to go this Saturday. I am totally excited. Cute pictures!

Justin and Kenzee said...

We were impressed at how much organization it must have taken to pull it all off... we loved it too. That picture of the kids walking is so sweet.

Aceneth Warner said...

what a fun a great activity to do as a family. These are the things kids will remember and help build their own testimony.