During spring break this year we went camping at the needles in Canyonlands with the Bergeners. It was awesome! I loved that place. There are so many hikes to do and find there. There are some petroglyphs that I found out were in the needles that we didn't get to see including other rock formations. So it just means that I definately have to go back someday. The Cave Springs hike was a fun little trail of old abandoned stuff and drawings on the rock. Also memorable for the creepy spider eggs that me and Jen saw. Everytime I think about it I still get chills. I think that was the hike I was trying to be cool and hang on a rock which broke off and fell down. Luckily no one actually caught the actual fall just me laughing at myself on the ground for being an idiot to try it on the fragile sandstone.
Of course the hike to Chelser Park was a big highlight of the trip. The kids did so well and the views were beautiful. Me and Jen wanted to continue because we knew that the Druid arch wasn't too much further, but the kids had reached their limit and were ready to hike back.
The kids got their junior ranger badges by getting a booklet at the visitor center and completing a certain amount of activities in it. They really liked it. It also gave them something else to do and notice things about the area. The other button that they got with the badge said "Don't bust the crust" which meant don't step on the crypobiotic soil, but us parents got a kick out of saying it to the kids all the time while they rolled their eyes at us.
Since it was Easter weekend we did have a little egg hunt at the camp. It was a lot of fun for the kids. Unfortunately it started to rain that night and didn't get to hang out by the fire that night.
Here is Newspaper rock on the road into the needles. I was truly in awe of all of the indian remains whether it was petroglyphs, or ruins. I want to see more. It is all so interesting to think what life was like for them.
One of the days we drove back up to Moab and ended up going to Hole in the Rock where a couple back in something like the 50's blasted the rock and made their home in it. They won't let you take pictures inside. It really wasn't worth the money for the tour. It was really creepy and Sarah wanted to go touch everything so I was wrestling her the whole time. It was just like if you were to visit your great grandmas house with creepy knick knacks and a weird smell, but to top it off the husband had taxidermy as a little hobby and had a phsyco stuffed donkey dressed in a hat and stuff.
By the end of our trip to the Needles I was just so amazed at how big and vast Canyonlands itself is and how much is really untouched. Some places only get seen by few people since they have to be backpacked into and still are on marked trails. The rest is just pure nature and I can't wait to see more.




6 comments:
Wow! Looks like a really fun time. Those are some neat pictures!
Great pictures Mel and John. We should become egg hunters. I agree we need to go back, love the place.
I love all the black and white pictures. Looks like you guys had a lot of fun.
beautiful! Looks like a fun trip. the red rock makes me homesick!
LOVE that picture with you and your kids all in a row! Super cute! What a fun vacation!
Way fun!! Love all your pics!
Post a Comment